Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mark Jenkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGkmCeHnVs&feature=related

If you watch the short clip of the video above, you will get a pretty good idea of how the course of our class went last Thursday. Mark Jenkins is an artist who makes sculptures using nothing more than an object, saran wrap and packaging tape! All of the figures in this video were made precisely this way, dress up in some street clothes and put on display throughout the city! Although our class had a lot of fun making our own sculptures, we also had a very meaningful conversation about how this activity could be presented to a variety of populations, for example, corrections, the elderly, persons with psychological disorders etc. Some of the things that we discussed were what goals could be accomplished through this task as well as certain considerations that the facilitator must make prior to the activity to make it more applicable/safe to the specific population. I thought that this was an awesome activity as could definitely be described as INNOVATIVE! It just goes to show you what kinds of amazing things can be done/created with such few resources :) I'm sure that this isn't the last time that I will be making a tape sculpture, and I can't wait to see how I can utilize this project in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the activity - I thought everyone did a great job. I love the pictures you selected!

    ReplyDelete